Ancient people used a lot of herbs in their regular diet that helps them to lead a healthy life and their life style also plays a major role in their well-being. These herbs are easily available in the market at low cost. Before the invention of medicines that are available in today’s life, our ancestors used herbs and home remedies as a cure to all the health related issues and occasionally they visited doctors, even doctors also suggested and treated them with herbs.
Taking care of babies is critical since they are very sensitive and reacts immediately due to less immunity. We can use home remedies to support our babies’ health before we visit a doctor. Babies are frequently facing the following health issues.
These are the simple home remedies we can do as a first aid when the baby is sick with cold and related issues.
1. Use saline water in your baby’s nose to release the congestion from the nose and that helps to breathe easily. We can also prepare saline water at home, heat 8 ounces of water and add ½ tablespoon of salt, mix it well and allow it to cool and use it within the 24 hrs of preparation. Saline drops can be used only up to 4 days.
2. A vapour rub can be used to reduce the effects of cold and relief from blocking and it can be used only for babies above 3 months.
3. Use a suction bulb to remove the mucus from babies’ nose and use it harsh.
4. Take your baby to a warm water bath, it helps to thin the mucus and get it out.
5. Give lot of fluids preferably warm to thin the mucus.
6. Use good quality petroleum jelly in the red areas of nose.
7. Lemon helps to decrease the congestion and honey helps to soothe, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 tablespoon of honey and heat it. Allow it to cool and give a few drops to baby.
Herbal Remedy for Cold
• Use Ocimum Tenuiflorum extract along with breast milk or milk gives a better relief from cold.
• Boil Terminalia Chebula (Chebulic myrobalan) in water and mix it water to give bath to your baby, it gives relief from cold.
1. When your baby have colic avoid juice, give them only water and breast milk/formula, in case of formula fed babies use food with low allergies.
2. Avoid irritating foods and gas producing foods to reduce the pain and consecutive problems.
3. Don’t over feed your baby when they are in pain.
4. Warm tea helps to ease the pain, give them 2 – 4 ounces of tea.
5. Chamomile tea also helps to overcome colic by relaxing the intestine muscles.
Herbal Remedy for Colic
• Asafoetida helps to reduce stomach ache by increasing digestion, mix 1 table spoon of asafetida with water and apply it over stomach, it can also be given once or twice to your baby.
• Sweet flag powder along with water could be applied to reduce stomach ache.
Nausea and vomiting
1. Dehydration is a problem babies’ faces during vomiting continuously, try to keep your baby hydrated. Consult your doctor about electrolyte and give it to your baby as per doctor’s instruction.
2. Give your baby lot of warm fluids to keep them hydrated and avoid juices, it may worsen the situation.
3. Babies may vomit due to various reasons, if they vomit after eating; make them eat as little portions.
Herbal Remedy for Nausea and vomiting
• Mix 1 tablespoon of grounded Ocimum Tenuiflorum seeds with milk and give it to baby in frequent gap to stop or reduce vomiting.
• Equal proportion of basil juice and honey at regular interval helps to stop vomiting.
1. Keep a pinch Cayenne pepper in the nose (nostrils) to stop bleeding from nose and surprisingly this will wont sting, use cotton stab to apply Cayenne pepper.
2. Blood clot in finger or toe can be treated with cold water by dipping in it (for babies after 1 year).
3. Over the cut or wound apply antibiotic ointment and wrap it with Band-Aid.
1. In case of swelling, place a damp cloth or ice cube to reduce it and use a calamine lotion to reduce itching.
2. Baking soda paste could be a relief for bug bite; you can prepare it in your home by mixing baking soda and water.
3. Banana peel could be used to reduce sting and itchy after bug bite, place it directly on the bite for few minutes and wash it.
Herbal Remedy for Bug Bite
• Lavender oil is a natural remedy to overcome inflammation after bug bite.
1. Cucumber is a best remedy for minor swelling, keep cucumber slices over the swelling for relief.
2. Apply ice cube over the swelling for few minutes.
3. Hot water fomentation helps to reduce swelling.
1. Place uncooked rice in a heat wrap, microwave it for few minutes until its warm and place it over the painful area for few seconds in regular interval to get a better relief from body pain.
2. Pain in case of any insect bite could be treated with baking soda by soaking cotton ball in baking soda and rub it over the bite for 20 minutes to reduce pain.
1. Ginger Tea could help to reduce the travel sickness, to prepare tea boil fresh ginger with water, filter it after few minutes and honey can be added to it.
2. Before travelling provide easily digestible food to your child to avoid travel sickness.
All content on this Web site, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Always seek the direct advice of your doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.